7.12.2009

Happy Birthday, Dad!

I meant to post this yesterday since my dad's birthday was yesterday, but somehow the day just got away from me!

While making this card, I ran out of white thread, but I didn't want to have to go somewhere to buy thread, so I "made" my own thread! Read on for a little tutorial on "making" thread for stitching on your paper crafting projects!




I made a card with the a similar design last winter, and just had to copy the design again! I got the idea for the color combo and argyle pattern from the current catalog (pg. 145). Although I love how this card turned out, it literally took me 2 hours to make this card! Good thing I really love my dad :-)

  1. I made the card base from Kraft card stock, but instead of cutting the card stock 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" (like a normal card), I cut the card stock 6-1/2" x 5-1/2" and still scored at 4-1/4" so that the back base of the card was normal (5-1/2" x 4-1/4"), but the front was smaller (5-1/2" x 2"). This way, I could cut the diagonal on the Old Olive card stock front and be able to see straight through to the back.
  2. I then cut a piece of Old Olive card stock to a regular card front size (5-1/2" x 4-1/4").
  3. Using my Circle Scissors Plus, I cut a 3-1/2" half circle on the bottom of the card. This way, I could layer the scallop circle underneath. I used temporary adhesive to keep my card stock from slipping while using the cutter. I started the circle about 2" into the card and cut around to the bottom.
  4. Using my paper cutter, I cut a straight line from the top of the half circle to the top right corner of the Old Olive card stock, thus making the diagonal
  5. Using the Big Shot and the Scallop Circle Die, I cut a scallop circle from Soft Suede card stock. I adhered the scallop circle behind the Old Olive card stock.
  6. Using the paper cutter again, I cut off the extra scallop circle from the bottom of the card stock.
  7. I cut 2 diamonds from More Mustard card stock. I started with two squares of More Mustard, each 1-3/4" square. I turned each square so that it looked like a square diamond. Then using a ruler I lined the top of the ruler up with two opposite corners of the square. I measured 1/2" in from each point and marked an "X" there. Using the paper cutter, I cut from the top point to the X on all 4 sides, making a slimmer diamond.
  8. I adhered the 2 diamonds to the card. Then using my Paper Piercing Tool and my Mat Pack, I pierced an "X" through the center of each diamond.
  9. Using white thread and a needle, I stitched each X. A quicker method is Faux Stitching: using a white gel pen and drawing little lines between each hole. See below for a tutorial on "making" white thread.
  10. I then cut a piece of Soft Suede card stock 3" x 3/4" and stamped the sentiment from Best Wishes and More (pictured below) in Soft Suede classic ink.
  11. I adhered the Soft Suede sentiment to the card and pierced a straight line along the edge of the sentiment and stitched with white thread.
  12. I stamped the circle image from Circle Circus (pictured below) in Soft Suede ink on Kraft card stock and punched it out with the 1" circle punch.
  13. I threaded a clear button with Linen Thread, securing the thread on the back with a glue dot and adhering to the Circle Circus image.
  14. After I was completely done with the card front, I adhered the whole thing to the Kraft card base.
  15. Be careful when writing in a card like this--I used a light pencil outline to make sure I wasn't writing in the space that can be seen when the card is closed, erasing the line when I was done.
Whew! I told you it took me 2 hours to make this card! :-) Now, when I was halfway done with the stitching the first X, I realized that I was about to run out of white thread. Instead of going out to buy more, I got creative! Read on...

White Thread Tutorial

So I have a bunch of In Color double striped ribbon left over that is no longer current, so I used some Kiwi Kiss ribbon. However, any grosgrain ribbon that is white or has white thread in it will work.

Step 1: You know how your grosgrain ribbon begins to unravel on its own sometimes...and it's really annoying when you're trying to use the ribbon on your project? Well, here it comes in handy! If your ribbon isn't doing this already, just cut it straight across and run your fingers along the edge until it does.


Step 2: Grab onto that stray thread and gently pull it so your ribbon starts to unravel.


Step 3: Keep pulling until your ribbon is completely unraveled. It takes a little patience because that thread will break easily if it gets caught and you pull too hard. I used about a 6" piece of ribbon because I was getting about 10 pieces of white thread from each piece of ribbon. Plus, I didn't need super long pieces of thread for my project. As you can see, I ended up with plenty of white thread. If I had used Whisper White grosgrain ribbon, that original stray thread would have worked on its own, and I probably would have only had to cut about 2 inches of ribbon!


So there you have it...making your own thread! I was quite proud of myself for being so useful with my resources :-)












*******************************************************

Stamp Sets: Best Wishes and More (111602--pictured below), Circle Circus (115778--pictured below)
Paper: Old Olive (100702), Soft Suede (115318), More Mustard (100946), Kraft (102125)
Ink: Soft Suede (115657)
Punches: 1" circle punch (109046)
Cool Tools:
Paper Piercing Tool (116631), Mat Pack (105826), Circle Scissor Plus (112530), Big Shot (113439), Scallop Circle Die (113468)
The Little Something Extra: Clear Buttons (105447), Mini Glue Dots (103683), Needle, White Thread



No comments: